Yahoo Music Engine vs iTunes
I signed up for the Yahoo Music Service. Here are the pros and cons as I see it compared to iTunes:
- $60/year for unlimited access to 1M songs.
- Better than expected selection (lots of latin/trance, but so so on the international side)
- Netflix-like collaborative filtering lets you quickly find similar artists, create playlists, etc. You can also have your suggestions be influenced by friends.
- .79 a song for MP3s (iTunes is .99)
- iPod does not play WMA -- enough said!
- Buggy Client
- I had several crashes today
- Sometimes it forgets that I'm a paid customer and only plays 30s
- It does not automatically retry failed downloads
- I really wish they had a Google-like 'do you mean ...?' when I mispell. Please don't make me spell correctly.
- Bad search UI. It forces me to do query-by-example searches (i.e. by artist, title, etc) instead of flexible keyword searches. And it would be killer to have lyrics search.
- No client for my Powerbook
- iTunes is a sexier app